Post Study Work Permit in Canada – All You Need To Know

Post Study Work Permit in Canada

One of the most important aspects while deciding the destination for studying abroad is the work opportunity one can avail post studies. Canada having top class universities, affordable education and multicultural society is the top destination for Indian students for higher education. As per a recent survey by industry experts around 75,000 visas were granted to Indian students. Many international students decide to reside once they finish pursuing their higher study in Canada.

What is post-study work?

After successful completion of the study, students can apply for Post-Graduation Work Permit in Canada which offers a great opportunity for International students to gain necessary work experience in Canada. This can further lead to permanent residency via the Canadian Experience Class Visa.

Eligibility criteria for PGWP

  1. A student must have studied full-time course in Canadian university with a duration of at least eight months.
  2. The student must be graduated from :
  3. A public post-secondary school, such as a college, trade/technical school or university, or CEGEP in Quebec or
  4. A private post-secondary school that operates under the same rules as public schools (currently applies only to certain private post-secondary institutions in Quebec) or
  5. A private secondary or post-secondary school (in Quebec) that offers qualifying programs of 900 hours or longer, leading to a diplôme d’études professionnelles(DEP) or an attestation de spécialisation Professionnelle (ASP) or
  6. A Canadian private school that can legally award degrees under provincial law (for example, Bachelors,
  7. Masters or Doctorate degree) but only if you are enrolled in a study program leading to a degree as authorized by the province.
  8. The student must have held a valid study permit to apply for the work permit.
  9. A student must apply within 90 days after receiving a letter of completion of their course from their academic institution.

Benefits of working in Canada

  • One can apply for Canada PR under Canadian Experience Class if they have full – time skilled work experience of at least 12 months.
  • No need for the sponsor to gain employment
  • Better chances on PR application owing Canadian work experience
  • International work experience that will be an asset in professional life

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.